StatCounter

Saturday 16 July 2011

The BBC brush-off

My strongest complaint to the BBC about BBC bias has received a Stage 2 complaint response from the BBC and unsurprisingly it's a BBC brush-off albeit a better written one than normal.


'Stephanie Harris stephanie.harris@bbc.co.uk to me
show details 13:24 (21 hours ago)


Dear Sir/Madam
As explained by Alison Wilson of the Editorial Complaints Unit, your complaint has been passed to me to respond to as it fell outside the ECU's remit. You have asked Ms Wilson to make sure that I am aware of the crux of your complaint which you have expressed as follows:
'The BBC reported in August 2010 the despicable comments made by an extremist Israeli rabbi but when I asked why the BBC did not report the genocidal comments regularly made by Hamas and Fatah leaders (both secular and clerical), and I gave examples, I was told that 'We do not report every inflammatory comment by Israelis or Palestinians. There are many on both sides.'

When I pointed out that this was not a satisfactory response and explained why, I was told by Tarik Kafal (Middle East Editor, BBC News Website) in an email of 21 December that 'To report the shrill and extreme statements of some of the Hamas firebrands is therefore misleading.' However the BBC were happy to report the extreme statements of one firebrand Israeli Rabbi. This leads to my key question and main complaint:

Why is it 'misleading' to report the words of 'Hamas firebrands' but not those of an Israeli firebrand?


I have now had an opportunity to review the correspondence to date. I note that you have received substantial answers to all the points you have raised and I endorse these replies.  The replies you have received from Tarik Kafala are comprehensive and there would be no merit in my simply repeating the points he has made. I think the only thing I can add is that BBC journalists must make a judgement about what is newsworthy and there is no reluctance to report on those who make violent denunciations of Israel such as President Ahmadinejad. Here are some examples.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4912198.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/6173941.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7628316.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8010747.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8007440.stm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-11402101#

I hope that I have addressed your concerns but if not, it would be open to you to appeal to the BBC Trust, which is the final arbiter in the BBC’s complaints process. If you wish to contact the Trust, your correspondence should be addressed within 20 working days to Lucy Tristram, Complaints Manager at the BBC Trust Unit, 180 Great Portland Street, London W1W 5QZ or trust.editorial@bbc.co.uk.
Yours sincerely
Stephanie Harris
Head of Editorial Compliance & Accountability,
BBC News'
I will of course be appealing to the BBC Trust but more in hope than expectation...

I have also replied to Ms Harris:
'No Ms Harris you have not addressed my concerns and I am sure that you are well aware of that. Just like Tarik Kafala you have ignored my specific question.  
I will remind you of that question:

''The BBC reported in August 2010 the despicable comments made by an extremist Israeli rabbi but when I asked why the BBC did not report the genocidal comments regularly made by Hamas and Fatah leaders (both secular and clerical), and I gave examples, I was told that 'We do not report every inflammatory comment by Israelis or Palestinians. There are many on both sides.'

When I pointed out that this was not a satisfactory response and explained why, I was told by Tarik Kafal (Middle East Editor, BBC News Website) in an email of 21 December that 'To report the shrill and extreme statements of some of the Hamas firebrands is therefore misleading.' Yet the BBC were happy to report the extreme statements of one firebrand Israeli Rabbi. This leads to my key question and main complaint:

So my key question is this: Why is it 'misleading' to report the words of 'Hamas firebrands' but not those of an Israeli firebrand?'

I did not ask about President Ahmadinejad, I asked why the BBC saw fit to specifically mention the regular extreme statements of one minor Israeli Rabbi and not those of more high profile Hamas and Fatah leaders. Have you any examples of the BBC reporting the genocidal remarks of Hamas and Fatah leaders, I gave you plenty of examples from other sources?

Tarik Kafala and you have both chosen to ignore my question so I will be appealing to the BBC Trust. Hopefully they will actually answer my question rather than, as you have, the question you would have preferred to be asked.

Regards

NotaSheep MaybeaGoat'

A complaint to the BBC Trust will be sent soon, a copy will be posted here. Does anyone have any helpful hints as to how to best get a proper response from the BBC Trust; other than offering the members a Knighthood of course.

4 comments:

Smoking Hot said...

Your replies from the BBC are the same as we get from our continual fight with the UKBA :)

Anonymous said...

here's a helpful hint: try complaining about something you might be right about, rather than letting your fantasies and blinkered outlook get the better of you

Not a sheep said...

Anon 17:40: Here's a helpful hint; learn to read, process information and come to correct conclusions before commenting on my blog again.

Anonymous said...

BBC: Brian's Biased Cousin. Have heard it reported all complainants details placed on secret register for monitoring vis a vis 'Lives of Others'. Imagine: bald man with headphones listening to you typing in the dark, writing secret reports, secret police swoop, man lets you escape, one day dedicate novel to man, man picks up novel in bookshop, smiles.