StatCounter

Sunday 19 October 2008

Dr Rown Williams and Half Man Half Biscuit?

Sam Leith in Saturday's Telegraph has an article devoted to comparing Dr Rowan Williams, the Archbishop of Canterbury, with Half Man Half Biscuit, the English indie/punk band of long-standing. I have long been a fan of Half Man Half Biscuit's intelligent off-centre lyrics and steadfast refusal to play the music industry game, I am less a fan of Dr Rowan William's often ridiculous pronouncements.

I have no desire to put a Dr Rowan Williams speech on my blog, but here is one of my favourite Half Man Half Biscuit tracks

"The Trumpton Riots"



The video I would like to show here is for "Dickie Davies Eyes" but cannot find it anywhere, so here are the lyrics:
"Mention the Lord of the Rings just once more,
And I'll more than likely kill you.
"Moorecock, Moorecock, Michael Moorecock"
you fervently moan.
Is this a wok that you shove down my throat,
Or are you just pleased to see me?
Brian Moore's head looks uncannily like London Planetarium.

Chorus:
And all those people
Who you, romantically,
Like to still believe are alive,
Are dead!
So I'll wipe my snot
On the arm of your chair
As you put another Roger Dean poster
On the wall.

God, I could murder a Cadbury's Flake,
Then I guess you wouldn't let me into heaven.
Or maybe you would 'cause their adverts promote oral sex!
A Romani bint in a field with her paints,
Suggesting we faint at her beauty,
But she's got "Dickie Davis Eyes!"

Chorus x 2"

Sheer genius....



and as an extra, how about "Joy Division Oven Gloves"


and as a bonus extra, how about Half Man Half Biscuits cover of Tiffany's "I think we're alone now"

No comments: