StatCounter

Friday 4 July 2008

There is something very wrong about this story

The Mail reports a most worrying story:
"Two schoolboys were given detention after refusing to kneel down and 'pray to Allah' during a religious education lesson...

Parents said that their children were made to bend down on their knees on prayer mats which the RE teacher had got out of her cupboard and they were also told to wear Islamic headgear during the lesson on Tuesday afternoon."

Parents were interviewed:
"One parent, Sharon Luinen, said: "This isn't right, it's taking things too far. "I understand that they have to learn about other religions. I can live with that but it is taking it a step too far to be punished because they wouldn't join in Muslim prayer. "Making them pray to Allah, who isn't who they worship, is wrong and what got me is that they were told they were being disrespectful....

Another parent Karen Williams said: "I am absolutely furious my daughter was made to take part in it and I don't find it acceptable. "I haven't got a problem with them teaching my child other religions and a small amount of information doesn't do any harm. "But not only did they have to pray, the teacher had gone into the class and made them watch a short film and then said 'we are now going out to pray to Allah'. "Then two boys got detention and all the other children missed their refreshment break because of the teacher. "Not only was it forced upon them, my daughter was told off for not doing it right. "They'd never done it before and they were supposed to do it in another language." "My child has been forced to pray to Allah in a school lesson." The grandfather of one of the pupils in the class said: "It's absolutely disgusting, there's no other way of putting it. "My daughter and a lot of other mothers are furious about their children being made to kneel on the floor and pray to Islam. If they didn't do it they were given detention.

...

"But if Muslims were asked to go to church on Sunday and take Holy Communion there would be war.""


I am afraid to say that I think that might well be the future of this country and indeed the whole continent.


There is nothing wrong with children being taught about other religions (in fact I think it should be encouraged) but 12 year-olds being forced to take part in an act of worship of a religion other than the children's own is just wrong.

I must admit that as an adult I have felt awkward when I have attended a Church of England wedding, a Catholic baptism or a Hindu wedding - do I join in with the worshippers or sit/stand silently?

No comments: